With beautiful beaches, life-filled marshes, and the Blue Ridge Mountains, South Carolina is known for its natural beauty and varied terrain. Winters are mild here, and you still get to experience the four seasons. Myrtle Beach and Charleston are the two most well-known cities in South Carolina for tourism, but there are many other beautiful places to live.
As with every state, some best cities and neighborhoods have lower crime rates and are generally considered safer. According to law enforcement statistics, South Carolina had 134,333 property crimes in 2021. That reflects an overall rate of 25.88 crimes per 1,000 residents in this state of roughly 5.2 million people. The following are some of the safest communities in the Palmetto State.
Fort Mill, a city of nearly 28,000 people, has a high number of workers in the computer and math industries—more than 95% of the places in the United States. Remote work is popular here with 17.53% of residents working from home. The city is family friendly as well. Fort Mill is one of the safest cities to live in South Carolina. Your chance of becoming the victim of a violent crime is 1 in 1,473. Nineteen violent crimes take place each year.
Some of the safest neighborhoods in Fort Mill are:
- Waterside at the Catawba, one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in South Carolina, sits on the peaceful Catawba River. Most of the homes here are medium-to-large single-family houses and apartment complexes. More than half of the residential properties in Waterside at the Catawba were built after 1999.
- Massey provides access to Fort Mill Highway at the northern end and Catawba River at the southern end. This neighborhood is more family friendly than 99.5% of the neighborhoods in South Carolina. It's home to top public schools and features a strong sense of community as well as low crime rates.
- Van Wyck is more retirement friendly than 97.8% of the neighborhoods in South Carolina. It has a large concentration of married couples too. Ninety-one percent of the homes were built in 2000 or later, giving the neighborhood a higher proportion of new homes than 99% of neighborhoods in the country.
This coastal city provides access to Hilton Head Island and Daufuskie Island. It's one of the safest cities in South Carolina with your chance of becoming a victim of a violent crime at 1 in 1,341. Only around one murder and 16 assaults happen in the year. Bluffton, a city of 32,000, is a family-friendly area with good public school districts and many families living here.
The safest neighborhoods in Bluffton include:
- As a rural coastal neighborhood, Palmetto Bluff attracts nature lovers and those who like a quiet home. A significant proportion of the homes are seasonally occupied. The residential properties consist of medium to large single-family homes and townhomes.
- Hampton Lake, where the lake is located, features a Lowcountry style and offers options in lakefront homes and properties with views of the preserve. Most of the real estate consists of medium to large single-family homes and townhomes. Hampton Lake is more family-friendly than 99% of the neighborhoods in South Carolina.
- Hampton Hall, located near Hampton Lake, has a below-average crime rate and good public schools. It's within the top 15% of family-friendly neighborhoods in South Carolina.