Summer is winding down, and for parents and kids all over the country, that means one thing—it’s back to school time.
As you prepare your to-do list for the new school year, don’t forget to discuss these important back-to-school safety tips with your kids to keep everyone safe on the way to and from school.
Safety getting to school
Whether your kids walk, bike, take the bus, or get a ride from Mom or Dad, it’s important to know these tips to keep them safe.
School zone driving safety tips
- When driving kids to school, always obey school zone speed limits, paying close attention to where they begin and end.
- Be aware of crosswalks and obey crossing guards.
- Brush up on your state’s laws regarding school buses. For example, in all states but Washington, all drivers must stop for a bus loading or unloading children, whether they are behind the bus or driving towards it.
- Over 25,000 children are injured in school zones each year. Stay focused while driving in a school zone. Don’t text, adjust your music, or look at your phone.
- For teen drivers, car accidents are the #1 cause of death for teenagers. If you have teens driving to school, consider installing a car guard to help them be aware of and monitor their speed.