Home automation may sound kind of magical. But it’s actually pretty simple, logical and straightforward. Automation just means that components in your home you use every day like appliances, thermostats or locks function automatically.
You can do the same with the way you light up your living space. Smart lighting is emerging as a key player in the home automation arena, and it's rapidly gaining in popularity.
What is smart lighting and how does it work?
Smart lighting, like other home automation features, provides a more efficient way to manage the lighting in your home.
With smart lighting, traditional light bulbs are replaced with smart light bulbs, which screw into the existing sockets in your home. An internet-connected hub connects all of the bulbs, providing control over the lighting in your home from a centralized location. Simple.
And with smart lighting the benefits are immediate. For example:
- Remotely adjust the lighting in your home from anywhere.
- Enjoy greater control over the lighting effects in your home. No need to install dimmer switches.
- Establish automated lighting schedules around your lifestyle.
Why should I add smart lighting to my home?
Smart lighting may be a new concept for you. And we promise it’s more than just a fancy way to control the lighting in your home. It actually helps simplify and improve quality of life. Take a look:
- Smart lighting is convenient. Think of all of the lights in your home, the number of corresponding light switches, and the amount of time you spend each day—especially at night—making the rounds in your home to make sure they’re off. With smart lighting those days are over.
- Do more with your lights. There’s much more you can do with smart lights other than turning them off or on remotely. Set the mood in any room with smart lighting features like dimming and color ambiance (dependent on the smart bulbs you install).
- Automate your lighting. And you really can schedule your lights based on your preferences. Get a wake-up call at 7 a.m. with your lights automatically turning on with gradual adjustments, for example. Or at 10 p.m., make it lights out. Or maybe your lights dim in the early evening to help you wind down.
Anyone can install smart lighting in their homes, and it’s fairly affordable.
Once you make your initial investment, the cost going forward is minimal—smart bulbs are LED so they last longer and draw less energy to function, which can translate into savings on your monthly utility bill.
With many smart lighting systems, you can scale at your pace, swapping out traditional light bulbs with smart light bulbs where it makes sense and fits into your budget.
Smart lighting with Vivint Smart Home
You can install a smart lighting system that functions independently on its own platform. But integrating smart lighting with a smart home system provides increased comfort, convenience, and control.
Vivint Smart Home integrates with Philips Hue lighting to provide the seamless, long-lasting benefits of smart lighting that also include the following:
- The Philips Hue LED bulb life lasts 23 years.
- Smart lighting with Vivint offers smooth dimming down to 5% light.
- Get white lighting control from any Philips Hue bulb.
- You can connect up to 52 lights to one Phillips Hue bridge.
With Vivint you can get a smart lighting system that gives you what you want—get instant brightness when that suits your mood or dim lights for a softer effect.
You can create lighting groups to coordinate rooms, floors, or even your entire house. And with custom lighting rules you create, your lights are on only when they should be.
- Consider leaving your house for work each day or a vacation and manually switching everything off. Now imagine turning lights on and off with a swipe, whether that’s on your mobile device or from a control panel or hub in your home. Forget to turn something off? Take care of it with your mobile device.
- With a voice-activated speaker like Google Home, powered by Google Assistant, you can control lights with the sound of your voice.
- With greater control over your lighting and the efficiency of LED bulbs, you’ll conserve energy and save money with smart lighting installed in your home.
- Set rules to have your lights turn on when your home is disarmed, when your cameras detect motion, when your doorbell camera is pressed, or each day at a certain time.
- And with a smart home system, you control all components—including lighting—from a single app.
Smart lighting as part of a Vivint system is easy to install and sync. You don't have to do a thing. Our highly trained and qualified Smart Home Pros will do it all for you and ensure all components of your system work together seamlessly.
Give us a call at 800.646.1469 for a free quote on a smart home system that includes smart lighting.