Support Log in Call now: 855.290.3685

About This Recognition

For the past 10 years, Fast Company, the world’s leading progressive business media brand, has compiled an annual list of companies that exemplify the best in innovation. Vivint Smart Home joins other top innovators on the list including Amazon, Google, Apple, Airbnb, Spotify and Facebook.

Why Vivint Smart Home is One of the World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies

https://www.vivint.com/resources/article/what-are-the-risks-of-not-having-a-carbon-monoxide-detector

What Are the Risks of Not Having a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

A carbon monoxide detector is a simple investment. It is on your wall and at first glance, it doesn't appear to do much. However, this working system can provide you with clear, loud warnings if there is a high level of carbon monoxide present in your home. This dangerous gas could be present in most homes, and much of the time, it does not have a strong odor.
Keep reading

A carbon monoxide detector is a simple investment. It is on your wall and at first glance, it doesn't appear to do much. However, this working system can provide you with clear, loud warnings if there is a high level of carbon monoxide present in your home. This dangerous gas could be present in most homes, and much of the time, it does not have a strong odor. Moreover, you cannot see it. Without a detector, your family could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, a potentially life-threatening condition. Luckily, an effective detector is really all it takes for you to avoid this risk.

Avoid Undetected Exposure to Carbon Monoxide

Many of the appliances in your home create carbon monoxide as they work through the normal combustion process. This includes your home's heating system and your appliances. When properly vented, your appliances do not cause a problem. However, if insufficient oxygen supply occurs due to malfunctioning equipment, leaks in your ventilation, or simple mistakes, a high level of carbon monoxide can arise. These cases are odorless, and you cannot see or taste them. There is simply no way to know this level of gas is present without some type of detector in place.

Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Over time, which in some cases is merely a matter of hours, these leaks can build up to high levels. When this occurs, it can affect your health. Carbon monoxide poisoning sometimes creates flu-like symptoms, nausea, overall confusion, and dizziness. It can also lead to headaches. When high levels are present at night, many of these symptoms are difficult or impossible to notice. Without proper ventilation, improved oxygen supply, and treatment, carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to neurological disorders and even death. All of this can be prevented with a properly working carbon monoxide detector.

Installing a Detector Doesn't Have to Be Difficult

Every home should have at least one if not more detectors present, especially near high-risk areas such as your dryer, garage, and heating vents. Place one near your bedroom so you can hear it. You may also wish to install these as a part of your home automation system. In this case, you can also monitor your home's carbon monoxide levels remotely, too. Should levels become too high in any area of the home, you'll know about it right away and can take action.

You can also use home automation systems with 24-hour monitoring to help you. Should high levels occur, the system can alert you and call for emergency help if levels are extremely high. This can lead to life-saving action.

A carbon monoxide detector is something you install and don't have to think about, aside from changing out the batteries every few months. These detectors work much the same as a fire or smoke detector does, but they do something incredibly different. With this detector in place, you can feel confident about your safety.

Ready to turn your home into a smart home?
Learn more