Doorbell cameras—you've heard of them, and they're continuing to grow in popularity every year. But how do they actually work? And are they worth the cost?
Take a look at how doorbell cameras function and say hello to the additional control, convenience, and safety they can bring to your home. Keep reading to learn more.
What are doorbell cameras and how do they work?
Simply put, a doorbell camera (sometimes called a video doorbell) is just what it sounds like—a doorbell equipped with a camera. But it’s also much more than that—it’s a WiFi-enabled smart device with motion detectors, recording capabilities, and a speaker that allows you to speak to the person at the door.
So how does a doorbell camera work?
- A doorbell camera connects to your home’s existing doorbell wiring and doorbell chimes, as well as your home's WiFi.
- When someone pushes the doorbell, it chimes just like a normal doorbell. Some doorbell camera models use motion detectors to sense when someone is at your front porch and then start recording automatically.
- A notification is sent to your smartphone via the WiFi connection, alerting you when someone is at the door.
- Opening the doorbell camera's app will allow you to watch a live video feed from the camera.
- Some doorbell cameras start recording video footage once the doorbell is pressed, or when motion is detected, allowing you to review the footage at your convenience. Because recorded video clips require storage space, you may need cloud storage or removable storage.
- Many doorbell camera models also feature a speaker, allowing you to use the app to speak through the doorbell camera to the visitor on your doorstep. If the doorbell camera also includes two-way talk functionality, you can see and have an active conversation with your visitor.
Why should I add a doorbell camera to my home?
If you’re like most people, you may not answer your phone if you don’t recognize the number on the caller ID. Many people now feel the same about their front door—why would you answer it without knowing who is there?
A doorbell camera acts like the caller ID for your front door, letting you see who’s there without actually opening the door or peering through a peephole. It’s a must-have for anyone interested in improving the security of their home.
Take a look at just a few of the benefits of a doorbell camera:
Choose whether you want to answer the door or not
A doorbell camera helps provide assurance and peace of mind for anyone who’s uncomfortable answering a door without knowing who or what is on the other side. Instead of wondering, “Who could that be?”, you’ll know immediately.
Speak with visitors from anywhere with two-way talk
Say you’re at work or out running errands and you get a notification saying someone’s at your door. You can “answer the door" simply by logging into the app on your smart phone.
Using the app, you can also have a two-way conversation with the visitor while seeing what they're doing. So you can ask them what they need or tell them to come back later.