Vivint Employees Donate $250,000 to Six U.S. and Canadian Non-Profit Organizations
PROVO, Utah—Vivint, one of the largest home automation companies in North America, today announced the company’s Gives Back Project, which donated $250,000 to six U.S. and Canadian non-profit organizations, received the 2011 Sammy Award for “Best Community Outreach Program” from Security Sales & Integration magazine.
The Community Service Program award is designed to pay tribute to the installing security company that exemplifies the best volunteerism, as well as a sense of caring and responsibility for others that connects citizens and solves community problems. Criteria include: overall creativity and effectiveness in meeting community service objectives; depth and scope of volunteer activities with results obtained; lasting impact in the community; and corporate vision and reason for getting involved.
“It is a great honor to receive this award,” said Josh Houser, president of Vivint Gives Back, Vivint’s charitable division. “This is a tribute to our employees and their commitment to fulfilling our company’s goals of protecting families, strengthening communities, and lending a hand to those in need.”
The Gives Back Project
The Gives Back Project ran from May 2010 until September 2010, during which time online fans nominated and voted for their favorite non-profit groups on Facebook. Overall, fans nominated 263 non-profits and cast more than 260,000 votes. During the project, Vivint employees contributed $250,000 in cash donations toward the effort, and participated in 7,500 hours of community service.
The Gives Back Project awarded the $250,000 to the six organizations that received the most votes.
The Utah Prader-Willi Syndrome Association, which combats a lifelong genetic brain disorder, received the highest number of votes overall and was awarded the $100,000 grand prize. Vivint gave additional donations of $30,000 each to five other regional non-profits, including:
- Prader-Willi California Foundation. A non-profit whose mission is to provide families and professionals with a network of support, resources and information, to promote awareness of the syndrome.
- Heart 2 Home, a 100 percent non-profit group headquartered in Utah with no paid staff that organizes and executes home improvement and renovations for families in need.
- The Tapestries of Life, a mercy ministry in El Paso, Texas that provides aid to the poor in Mexico and is currently constructing an orphanage in Guadalupe, Mexico.
- CHERUBS (The Association of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Research, Awareness, and Support), a non-profit agency headquartered in North Carolina that provides support for the medical condition known as CDH, which occurs when the diaphragm of a baby fails to fully form, thus preventing growth of the lungs.
- Alberta Association for Community Living (Canada), which offers children and adults with developmental disabilities access to education, work opportunities and basic necessities.
The SAMMY (Sales and Marketing) Awards, now in its 16th year, was created to “recognize and honor installing security dealers and integrators for their marketing, business, installation and overall excellence.”
The SAMMY Award for Best Community Outreach Program, which honors security industry businesses for finding creative and effective ways to develop result-rich volunteer activities that address community needs and challenges, cites vision and philosophy as requisite qualifications for consideration.
About Vivint Gives Back
The Vivint Gives Back program was created to focus the efforts of the employees and owners of Vivint on banding together to alleviate hardship and restore hope for people in need. Through this program, Vivint employees have the opportunity to contribute time and resources to service projects ranging from clean-up efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike to providing meals at the Ronald McDonald House and adopting a local elementary school where our employees mentor and tutor students at risk in a long-term relationship.
Vivint, Inc. is one of the largest home automation companies in North America. Operating throughout the United States and Canada, the company retains more than 5,000 employees and services close to 500,000 customers. With award-winning customer service and smart technology, Vivint is dedicated to enhancing security, increasing energy efficiency, and creating simple, affordable home automation solutions for its customers.