Door and window sensors alert your Vivint Smart Hub when triggered, so you never have to wonder if your home is secure.
“The peace of mind is more than we could imagine.”
Cobi | UT
Add an extra layer of protection to vulnerable spots throughout your home with smart sensors. If windows or doors are breached while your system is armed, you’ll receive an alert through hub and the Vivint Smart Home app. Vivint’s 24/7 monitoring will also be alerted and our professionals can assist in an emergency situation.
Consider motion sensors your favorite new layer of protection and comfort. When your system is armed and you’re away, any unexpected movement will sound an alarm, notifying our 24/7 monitoring center to ensure the safety and security of your home. When you’re at home, our motion sensors communicate with your smart thermostat to adjust the temperature and keep you and your family comfortable.
Vivint’s Glass Break Detectors combined with our 24/7 monitoring mean if a window is broken, you’ll know and so will we. So leave the house or go to bed at night with confidence—we’re always there to hear the alarm and help keep you and your home safe.
What happens if you’re at home and something triggers a security sensor? Don’t worry—with Vivint you’ve got 24/7 backup. The system will immediately alert Vivint monitoring professionals who will contact you through your Smart Hub. Our team will help assess the situation and contact emergency services if needed.
Sign up with Vivint and Smart Home Pros will install your system and link your account in the Vivint Smart Home mobile app.
How do you stop burglars from targeting your home?
A home security sign serves as a huge deterrent for burglars. Of course, it’s not just a sign—it indicates that your home is protected with a security system and potential intruders could get caught:
- An alarm will sound if the home is breached when the system is armed, alerting the homeowner and the neighborhood. If a system is backed by 24/7 monitoring, that support team will also receive notification of a break-in.
- Most home security systems included outdoor surveillance cameras. Burglars know this and don’t want their crimes or identities recorded. Vivint’s outdoor cameras take security a step further and actually alert intruders that they’ve been spotted.
- Would-be burglars often assume they can enter a home undetected through a back door or window. Stickers and signs placed on back windows and in the backyard can further prevent intrusion.
- Burglary detection as part of a security system adds another layer of protection. And that means motion sensors, door and window sensors, and glass-break sensors. If any of these are triggered, an alarm will sound.
How do motion sensors work?
Most motion sensors today are wireless, and electronic or digital. They employ active, photo or passive sensors, and here’s how they work:
- Active sensors, also known as radar-based motion detectors, emit ultrasonic sound waves.
- When a person or moving object causes an interference, the sensor sends a signal. The signal causes the sensor alarm to sound, a light to illuminate, or even a door to open.
- Using laser beams and light sensors, this type of motion detection emits a light beam and sounds a sensor alarm when a notable change in the level of light occurs.
- When a figure walks by, it causes a change in the level of light that detects the intruder.
Passive Infrared (PIR) Sensors
- Residential homes are most commonly equipped with PIR sensors.
- PIR sensors detect infrared energy released as heat from humans and animals.
Given that they can recognize intruders and trigger alarms, effective motion detectors are vital to a full home security system. Pair them with other home security products like video recorders, glass break protectors, security cameras, smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and smart locks for a complete protection.
What are the different types of alarm sensors?
Several alarms sensors can help detect burglars and prevent intrusion:
- Motion sensors. If movement is detected while your system is armed, an alarm will sound and you’ll receive an alert on your smartphone. With a Vivint system, the security monitoring team will be notified so they can contact you or the authorities if you’re unavailable.
- Door and window sensors. An intruder attempting entry through a door or window while the system is armed will trigger an alarm. The monitoring team will immediately be notified and you’ll receive an alert on your smartphone.
- Glass break sensors. Glass break sensors set off an alarm when glass is broken, adding an extra layer of protection to your windows and home exterior.
Do I need a window sensor on every window?
Window sensors are a key component of any home security system. Many starter systems come with a set number of window sensors with the option to add more for additional fees. But to get the most protection, a sensor on each window is recommended though many people opt for sensors on first-floor windows only.
When you explore your options with a Vivint system, our professionals can help you determine the right number of window sensors for your home. And we’ll install them for you.
Doorbell Camera Pro
Our doorbell camera automatically detects packages and uses light and sound to actively deter package thieves. With two-way talk, it also lets you answer the door from anywhere. And the app gives you quick access to your locks and garage door so you can let in the good and keep out the bad.
Kwikset Smart Lock
No more keys. With unique access codes everyone in the family—or even visitors—can come and go while your home stays secure. Control your locks when you’re away using the Vivint Smart Home app. And with one-touch lockup, you can control your security system, lights, and locks with the touch of a button.
With the Element you get smart temperature control that perfectly blends comfort and energy savings. It automatically adjusts temperature based on home occupancy, and you can change settings manually from anywhere with your smartphone—potentially saving you up to 12% on your energy bill.
Outdoor Camera Pro
The Vivint Outdoor Camera Pro is the only surveillance camera that intelligently identifies and automatically deters true threats. It doesn’t just record activity—it helps prevents crime. It’s like having your own personal security guard patrolling your home around the clock.
Ping, the world’s first indoor camera with true two-way communication, keeps you connected to your family. View live and recorded video when you’re away using your smartphone. And if you’re home, call out to speak to family members with the press of a button.
Nothing gets by you with Vivint Smart Drive. Save 24/7 video footage from up to four security cameras including indoor, outdoor, and doorbell to get a complete picture of your home’s interior and exterior. Save footage for 30 days and easily browse minute by minute using event markers.
Garage Door Control
With all of the coming and going at a busy home, it’s nice to know you don’t have worry if the garage is open. Using the garage door controller, manage your garage using the Vivint Smart Home app and receive notifications if your garage door is open or if it failed to close. Left open? No problem. Close it from anywhere with your smartphone.
We take protecting what matters most a step further with our award-winning, 24/7 customer monitoring and support. Our smart home specialists are just seconds away, ready to respond to a potential emergency and send first responders when you can’t be reached. If you’re home, contact us through the convenient two-way talk feature on your Smart Hub.