Vivint, one of the largest home automation companies in North America, was a proud participant in “Johnson-Goslee Family,” Parts 1 & 2—“Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.” The episode aired Friday, Dec. 9 on ABC.
The show featured the Johnson-Goslee family. Sixteen-year-old Wyzhir Johnson-Goslee lost his hand in a construction accident while helping refurbish his family’s home, which suffered from massive plumbing, structural and other problems.
The “EM:HE” team built a brand new home for the Johnson-Goslees and for the first time, a family member—Wyzhir—joined the effort.
“Wyzhir has been such an inspiration to our employees,” said Josh Houser, president of the company’s Vivint Gives Back charitable division. “In the wake of his personal challenges, he not only contributed to building a new home for his family, but he also set up a foundation to help other amputees get prosthetic devices. This spirit of giving is part of who we are as a company as well. It has been such an honor to partner with Extreme Makeover: Home Edition to help make Wyzhir and his family safer and more comfortable in their new home.”
Vivint had the opportunity to install a full home automation system in the new home, providing the Johnson-Goslees with a range of features that will help make their lives safer, simpler, and more energy efficient. Vivint’s home automation system is controlled by a central panel and can be accessed remotely through a computer, smartphone, or other smart devices like the iPad. The Johnson-Goslee are enjoying the following features:
- Wireless smoke and CO2 detectors
- Motion detectors, door, window and glass-break sensors
- Automatic door locks: Each family member, friend, or home worker can receive a customized code, and lock and unlock their doors from any remote location.
- Video surveillance: The Johnson-Goslees can watch live video from a computer or phone to check in on family members, or to make sure their home is safe while they’re away.
- Appliance and lighting controls: They can set off and on times, or make adjustments via their smartphones to increase security and reduce the amount of energy used.
- Smart thermostat: The family can use EnergyStar templates or program their own settings to ensure their home is both energy efficient and comfortable.
- 24/7/365 live monitoring: Vivint operators are on the job all day, every day to monitor the family’s home. If an alarm is triggered, they will immediately contact the family through the in-home panel, and can dispatch local law enforcement if needed.
“EM:HE” is produced by Endemol USA, of Endemol Holding, and executive-produced by Brady Connell & George Verschoor. David Goldberg is Chairman, Endemol North America. This program carries a TV-PG parental guideline.
About ABC-TV’s “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition”
The Emmy award winning reality program “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition,” now in its 9th season, is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding. It’s executive-produced by Brady Connell and George Verschoor. David Goldberg is Chairman, Endemol North America. Episodes air Friday nights from 8:00 – 9:00pm, ET on ABC.
About Vivint Gives Back
Vivint Gives Back was created to alleviate hardship and restore hope for families in need. The program focuses the efforts of the company’s employees and owners, who contribute time, money, and volunteer hours to perform service in their communities. In addition, Vivint Gives Back hosts the Gives Back Project, an online charitable campaign that awarded $1.25 million to 86 non-profit organizations throughout the United States and Canada in 2011. Security Sales & Integration magazine also recognized the 2010 Gives Back Project as the “Best Community Outreach Program” with a SAMMY Award. For more information, visit http://www.vivint.com/givesback.
Vivint Inc. is a leading provider of home technology services in North America. Vivint’s technology-based platform integrates a wide range of wireless features and components that deliver simple, affordable home automation, solar, and smart grid solutions. In 2011, Vivint's Full Home Automation package and Advanced Security package received a Consumers Digest "Best Buy" rating. Dedicated to protecting families, increasing energy efficiency, and simplifying lives, Vivint has more than 12 years of experience and supports over 570,000 customers throughout the United States and Canada. For more information, visit the company’s website at www.vivint.com.