APX Alarm Shares Fire Safety Tips to Help Increase Awareness During the Winter and Spring Seasons
PROVO, Utah -- APX Alarm, one of the nation's largest residential security alarm companies, is raising awareness about home fire prevention this week as it participates at the Zero Fatalities - Safe Kids Fair at exhibit number 425. The event is free to all attendees.
APX representatives will also be demonstrating fire safety tips at the exhibit both Friday and Saturday, Feb. 27- 28 at Noon, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
"We are thrilled to be able to participate in the Zero Fatalities - Safe Kids Fair this year as it is consistent with our mission and focus as a company in helping to protect families," said Lindsay Grauling, APX Alarm Vice President of Operations. "We believe strongly that both parents and children can reduce the risk of harm or loss of life by developing and practicing an escape plan when a home fire takes place."
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) statistics verify that home fire is reported nationally every 79 seconds. In addition, 63 percent of all home fire related deaths occur with no or non- working smoke alarms.
"Our hope is that reinforcing many of these safety tips available will instill a greater commitment for families to have a game plan in place when disaster strikes," said Grauling.
The NFPA has developed the following tips for home fire escape planning:
- Install and maintain working smoke alarms on every level; inside each bedroom and outside of each sleeping area. Test all smoke alarms once a month replacing batteries a minimum of once a year.
- Develop a fire escape plan that identifies two ways out of each room and a family meeting place outside.
- Make sure your plan allows for any specific needs in your household. If everyone knows what to do, everyone can get out quickly.
- Practice your plan, at least twice a year.
- Some studies have shown that some children and adults may not awaken to the sound of a smoke alarm; they may need help waking up.
- If the smoke alarm sounds: Go to your closest exit, and if there is smoke on your way out, turn and use your second way out. If you must exit through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your exit. Don't take time to pick up belongings; just get out and help others get out. Move fast but stay calm.
- In the event of a fire, who is responsible for making sure the pets get out as well?
About APX Alarm
APX Alarm provides residential security to customers throughout North America. Since its founding in Provo, Utah in 1999, APX has installed over 500,000 home security systems nationwide. The company has an average growth rate of 105% since it began operations. Additional corporate information can be found by visiting our website.