pay the green forward
Nature is a pretty amazing thing, and believe it or not our lives would be extremely different if the environment just suddenly stopped working. Here are just a few things the environment silently provides us every single day:
- Food—Although it’s true that our agricultural system is run by humans, the real nuts and bolts are all run by Mother Nature. Thanks to an army of pollinators, all the plants and fruits and vegetables that we eat can survive and reproduce. Even the animals we eat survive on pollinated plants. So let’s hear it for the bees.
- Water—Yes, we’ve all been hearing about the water cycle since we were knee high, but it really is a miracle that evaporation, clouds, rain, run-off, and natural fresh water sources like ground water all function by themselves. Thanks to nature, there’s lots of water to go around.
- Clean air—Trees and plants all over the world are working hard every day to clean the air we breathe and convert carbon dioxide into purified oxygen. So every time you breathe in and breathe out, you can thank the Earth for cleaning its own atmosphere.
- Sanitation—Could you imagine what our world would be like without the natural decomposition process? Nature is filled with microbes, insects, and scavengers that consume organic plant matter, waste, and carcasses. They’re the trash-collectors of the world, and without them we’d be swimming in our own waste. Big thank you for all of them.
So show some love. There are lots of simple ways you can give back to the environment, and even though you can’t pay the world back for the things it does, you can pay it forward by conserving and protecting all things green. Here are just 15 things you can do:
- Recycle your old cell phones
- Turn your thermostat 1° higher in the summer and 1° lower in the winter
- Maintain your car and use cruise control
- Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth
- Use both sides of your scrap paper
- Only wash full loads of laundry
- Insulate your windows and doors to save energy
- Air dry your laundry or your wet hair every now and then
- Turn off lights when you’re not in the room
- Recycle your junk mail
- Turn off your computers at night
- Save water by going to a car wash
- Walk to close by destinations
- Stop paper bank statements and pay your bills online
- Before you throw something away, consider giving it to charity or a friend
You can find even more green ideas here. Got some of your own to add to the list? Leave a comment below!